domenica 13 aprile 2008

About Immigration

Hi everybody!

This week I’ve been supposed to have my say about immigration in Italy and to start thinking about what cultural aspect of Italy and the USA I would like to explore further in my group’s future wiki page.

While until a few decades ago Italy was identified with an emigration country, today it is having to deal with an increasing number of foreign people from various parts of the world. Italy has been therefore faced with a challenging change in her role in political, social, economic and cultural terms.
When I think about immigration in Italy I automatically think about problems it has caused in our country; I often associate the term immigration with episodes of racism and violence. Right now one of the problems in Italy is illegal immigration and criminality. A few foreigners are actually committing crimes and even if they are a small group they are creating a negative image of the rest of the legal foreigners in the country. This situation has inevitably increased xenophobia amongst both Italians and foreigners. I believe that Italy needs stricter laws for reducing the number of illegal immigrants and for punishing crimes. This way foreigners might gain more respect as a whole from the native Italian society.

While I was reflecting on immigration in Italy I realized that this might be an interesting topic for my group’s final project. Immigration is actually one of the Italian cultural aspect which is discussed more frequently within my family and my circle of friends. Furthermore, as immigration is still a relatively new phenomenon for Italy and on the contrary a well-established phenomenon for America a comparison between the two countries’ immigration policies might be extremely interesting for understanding their strong points as well their weak points, their values as well as their defects.

See you in class!

Have a nice Sunday!

Selena

1 commento:

Anonimo ha detto...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Câmera Digital, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://camera-fotografica-digital.blogspot.com. A hug.